Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I voted, but I'm not happy...

For two years we've endured this presidential "race." I wish it had been more like an Usain Bolt sprint, and saved us the dragged-out drama. Today it ends, in most aspects.

In the words of a blogger on The Liberty Papers:
"[After today], the government can go back to screwing us quietly instead of auditioning for the job of screwing us."
Back to my rant. I voted, but I'm not happy. I did not vote for the candidate I felt best represented me, and my beliefs, attitudes, ideals, etc. I voted defensively, and I'm pissed that I was put in the situation.

You see, I'm not a McCain fan. I mean, I like him, I guess, but he was down near the bottom of my list during the primaries. He is a moderate Republican, one of the heavyweight centrists who have pulled the moorings of the Republican party towards the middle of the road. Let me say here that I'm not a die-hard Republican. I am registered as one because, for the most part, the party platform reflects my beliefs about government, taxes, culture and moral issues. But that has slowly been changing. If not in words in the official platform deceleration, then in the very actions of those who claim the name Republican.

In the words of Ronald Reagan, "I didn't leave the Republican party, it left me." It has become a party of moderates, willing to compromise on what defines the party in order to bring in more votes.

Heck, maybe I'm wrong? Maybe I've only been witness to the recent Christian Coalition push begun a few decades ago with the Moral Majority and such? Maybe the Republican party never stood for what I thought it did? Maybe it was only redeemed in certain ways through its adoption by Conservative Christians?

Anyways, here I am with my vote, my privilege, power, and voice, and I am forced to fill in the circle next to McCain's name because, as sad as it sounds, he has the best chance at keeping Obama out of office. And there is my biggest motivation for voting for McCain. A defensive move to protect this country from Barack Obama and a liberal majority ruining our country and culture.

If I'd had my choice, truly felt that it wouldn't let Obama descend from the heavens on a cloud of light and tax credits right into the Oval Office, I would have voted for Chuck Baldwin of the Constitution Party. After him, maybe Bob Barr, or a write-in for Ron Paul. At least these guys understand the responsibilities of government and how out of control our beast is.

I am praying that Obama does not win. Not, I'm praying that McCain wins. I'm praying that the greater of two "evils" does not become president. That's really lame, and I'm angry that we as voters, Republicans, even Christians, have let this happen.

No comments: